“It’s not that you’re doing something wrong. It just may not be the right fit there at that moment.”
Have you ever experienced the disappointment of being passed over for a promotion that you were hoping to land? It can be tough, but it’s important not to let it discourage or define you. Whether you’ve recently found yourself in this position or you’re simply looking to gain some valuable career advice, this episode is a must-listen. Katie and I share practical steps to help you move forward, focusing on self-reflection, understanding motivations, and finding alternative paths to success.
Three key takeaways from this episode are:
- Reflect on Your Motivations: When faced with a promotion setback, it’s crucial to ask yourself why you wanted that promotion in the first place.
- Embrace Personal Growth: Getting passed over for a promotion can be disheartening, but it’s also an opportunity to assess your skills, strengths, and areas for improvement.
- Take Ownership of Your Career: Instead of dwelling on the missed promotion, channel your energy into reflecting on your long-term goals and strategize ways to achieve them, whether it’s within your current organization or exploring new opportunities elsewhere.
So, if you’ve recently been passed over for a promotion, don’t lose hope! Use this setback as an opportunity for self-reflection, growth, and taking charge of your future success.
Make sure to listen to this episode for a deeper dive into what to do when you’ve been passed over for a promotion. Let’s empower each other to navigate career challenges and create fulfilling paths.
Connect with Tim and his team:
LinkedIn: Best Culture Solutions, Inc
[00:05:18] There’s nothing wrong with making money, but genuine motivation is important for job satisfaction and self-worth.
[00:09:49] Importance of genuine reasons for pursuing a role and the need to consider whether certain organizations or positions are a good fit.
[00:12:29] Feedback is constructive, but frustrating. Not personal, just not the right fit.
[00:14:53] Workplace commitment varies and colleagues will not always be fully supportive of your professional growth, which may indicate it’s time to seek new challenges.
[00:18:13] Acknowledge and understand feelings of bitterness but be self-aware and act accordingly.
[00:20:43] Advice on professional behavior during difficult conversations and job transitions.
- Things to Consider When Exploring Entrepreneurship - December 5, 2023
- What to do When You are Offered a Promotion You Don’t Want - November 28, 2023
- Add Filters to Job Descriptions - November 21, 2023